Translate

Friday 7 February 2014

Modou Barrow joins Östersunds FK

Gambian striker Modou Barrow
Östersunds FK have signed Gambian striker Modou Barrow on a three-year contract from Swedish Superettan rivals Varbergs BoIS, this blog can exclusively reveal.

The 21-year-old forward left Varbergs with two years left on his contract to sign a lucrative three-year deal with Superettan rivals Östersunds after an impressive 2013 league season.

Barrow, who joined Varbergs on a free transfer last season, made 28 Superettan appearances, scoring twice.

Before making the move to Varbergs, he was with Allsvenskan [top-tier] club IFK Norrköping on a two-year contract but his stay with the 12-time Swedish Champions was short-lived after a fallout with the club.

“It feels good that we are able to tie Modou to us. We have followed him for a long time. He has made great strides in Varbergs and we believe that together with Modou, we can continue on this trend,” Östersunds FK President Daniel Kindberg said after his club’s acquisition of the 5ft 9in forward.

“He’s fast, technical and can play both at the front and as a winger. Modou gives us more opportunities and it is very nice to have him so we can develop him further,” Kindberg added.

The young forward in an exclusive interview, told this blog that the move to Östersunds is the best for his career as they play the type of football he cherishes.

“I left Varbergs after just one season to join Östersunds because they play better football that I love and they have a good coach,” Barrow said.

He added: “I know, I am [a] top player for the Allsvenskan. But I want to play for this team because they have one of the best coaches in Sweden, Graham Potter, who is from England, and for a young player like me, I think playing for his club will improve my football.”

Born to Gambian parents on 13 October 1992, Modou Barrow grew up to be a star in the making as he started his football career in Gambia with a non-league side alongside Omar “Waterman” Jasseh before travelling to Sweden.

He had a brief spell with current Superettan side Östers IF before moving to Division 4 [sixth tier] side Mjölby Södra IF.

The Gambian is known for his goal-scoring capabilities as he lead the Division 4 side to promotion by banging the goals from different angles for Mjölby which lead Norrköping to come calling for him.

Before moving to Norrköping, he was supposed to join Allsvenskan side Åtvidabergs FF but both parties couldn’t agree on the contractual terms which lead to the deal falling through.

When asked about the secret to his success and why teams always court for his signature after only a season in clubs, the humble striker said: “Well, I just make sure I train hard and I guess that’s why teams always want me. I’m thanking God for that. I left Norrköping because I wanted to play more and improve my game, now I am.”

Modou Barrow, a clinical, technical and pacy player, styles his football behind England and Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge, whom he used to describe himself.

“People here [in Sweden] say that I play like him and that’s how they call me. I think I am now the ‘Gambian Daniel Sturridge’”, he said.

The young attacker says he looks forward to emulating his idol and be the top-notch for his team in order to secure promotion to the top division.

“My aim is that I want to be on fire this season to get Östersunds to Allsvenskan and Inshallah, it is going to be my best season ever in Sweden,” he concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment